Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Video Blogging

Been an interesting few hours.

With one eye on the future, I've been making a video blog for KillerKiller. I suddenly realised that by this point in the pre-production of TrashHouse I had started ranting to camera on a fairly regular basis, explaining how the film was bound to fall apart any minute. Some of these little rants are ending up on the DVD, and I realised that I'd completely gotten out of the habit of jabbering to camera in the year and a half since TrashHouse wrapped shooting.

Anyway, I decided to use some of the location recce footage from the other week and make a little video blog, the idea being that I could use it online to keep folks informed, then bundle it onto the eventual DVD. Yes, just like Lucas, Jackson and Smith, now that you come to mention it. I've even grown a manky stubble beard for the occasion because, fuck it, a director simply has to have a beard.

The problems have come with sorting out a delivery format, and something that was meant to be rattled off in a few minutes has come to dominate the day. In this age of varied connection speeds, different ways of encoding and so on, how do you choose how to deliver video content? We got plenty of criticism for only making the TrashHouse trailer available in Real Video.

The answer?

(Drumroll)

Dunno. Haven't a clue. Tried lots of things, not happy with any of them yet. I'll get it sorted soon. Until then, you're stuck with a 10MB wmv file. Yeah, I know. Not perfect. But at least it's here.

Or, rather, here:

http://www.jinxmedia.co.uk/media/Blog11105.wmv

Let me know if you have any ideas for making this more accessible for folks.

Peace n love,
Pat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stream it using an ASX file. Poke me if that doesn't make sense.